Your Regular Hygiene Exam
If you hear gentle reminders from us about the importance of your regular hygiene exams, there’s good reason. These exams – what many people know as professional tooth cleanings – are the key to keeping your smile healthy!
Did you know that dental problems often develop without pain?
Because we genuinely care about your dental health, we emphasize prevention and education in our practice. Our goal is to diagnose any problems early, when treatment is easier and less expensive. Your regular hygiene exam is the best safeguard against major dental problems.
Working under the supervision of our dentists, our professional dental hygienists perform several essential functions of your dental care. During a typical appointment, your hygienist will
- Remove soft deposits (plaque) and hard deposits (tartar) from your teeth
- Examine your gums and teeth to note the presence of disease or decay for diagnosis by our dentists
- Polish and smooth your tooth surfaces to make it more difficult for disease-causing plaque and debris to accumulate on your teeth
Depending on your dental needs, your hygienist may also
- Take dental x-rays, important for helping us find and treat problems that cannot be seen with a simple oral exam
- Perform scaling and root planning, a periodontal gum therapy
- Apply fluoride or sealants to your teeth
Our professional dental hygienists are here to share their extensive knowledge and experience with you, including proper brushing and flossing techniques as well as the relationship between your diet and your oral health. Good dental home care combined with regular professional tooth cleanings are the best bet for preventing cavities and other problems.
Please don’t hesitate to ask our friendly hygienists any questions you may have!